Mentally preparing for your first laser hair removal treatment can be intimidating; worrying about how much pain the procedure will inflict and how your treated area will feel afterwards can be a challenge. And for a full treatment in your bikini area – also known as Brazilian laser hair removal – you might be extra concerned about possible pain and discomfort.
So what can you expect after your first Brazilian laser hair removal treatment? The first thing you should be happy to learn is that the patients report no extra pain or discomfort from laser treatment on the groin area.
If you have experience with laser removal elsewhere, you should already have a good idea of what to expect. Post-procedure, you will feel a slight soreness and swelling in the area similar to a post-workout.
Understanding Laser Hair Removal
Laser hair removal is a simple procedure, but highly effective. Traditional hair removal treatments such as shaving, waxing, and threading work by removing the hair from the root. This damages the hair bulb underneath the skin, but leaves it intact to regrow hair again.
Laser hair removal works differently – instead of removing the hair, this treatment destroys the hair follicle, meaning the hair can’t simply regrow. The hair follicle must regrow before hair can return to the affected area, which can take several months.
Laser treatments attack the hair follicle by targeting pulses of laser light to the skin. The lasers are attracted to the pigmentation of the hair, and the energy from the laser is converted into heat as it travels down the hair to the individual hair follicles beneath the skin.
Read more about The History of Laser Hair Removal.
What Is a Brazilian Laser Hair Removal Treatment?
A Brazilian laser hair removal is similar to Brazilian wax in results. Unlike a bikini hair removal, a Brazilin laser hair removal aims to remove nearly all the pubic hair a patient might have. This includes hair on the labia, at the sides, and along and around the bum, while leaving a small patch of hair above the vagina for aesthetic purposes.
We understand that some patients might have concerns about directing lasers on their most sensitive areas around their bikini area. However, when performed by trusted laser specialists, patients can anticipate no extra pain or discomfort during their sessions. At most, you will feel a slight pinching or stinging on the targeted areas.
Preparing for Your Treatment
Preparations are similar to preparations before any kind of laser hair removal session. Keep the following in mind before every appointment:
- Remove Hair: To ensure your treatment proceeds as smoothly as possible, you will want to remove hair in the targeted area the day before the treatment. This will help you get the most out of every pulse, as the lasers will more effectively penetrate your hair follicles. Remember: shave, don’t wax or thread, and try to avoid creating ingrown hairs while you shave your body. Avoid waxing or threading for 10-14 days.
- Shower: To minimize awkwardness, maximize hygiene. Shower immediately before your treatment so that your doctor can access your private areas with ease. Only use water and other safe products, as you will want to avoid irritating your results beyond the procedure.
- Wear Comfy: As for your clothing, stay comfy, stay loose. Loose shorts, skirts, baggy pants, dresses – nothing tight or fitting. Dark clothing can help protect your body from the sun.
- Avoid Tanning: Laser treatments work best when your skin and hair are at their most natural tone and shade, and sun exposure and tanning can alter this as well as lead to your skin being more vulnerable. Avoid stepping in tanning salons or the beach up to two weeks before your appointment.
- Don’t Drink: Consuming alcohol the night before your treatment can make the procedure slightly more painful, so for the most comfortable experience, avoid alcohol before every appointment.
During the Procedure
Most patients who experience Brazilian laser hair removal say that there is little to no extra discomfort from lasers directed on the vagina, as opposed to any other part of the body. The first few pulses can seem a bit more painful, but your pain levels should adjust before long, and the rest of your session will be smooth sailing.
By having your procedure performed by trusted laser specialists, you can be guaranteed that they will be equipped with the latest in laser technology, which should have cooling mechanisms to keep your pain as limited as possible. Your bikini area can also be dulled prior to the laser exposure with a numbing cream or gel.
So is a Brazilian laser removal procedure less or more painful than a wax? Most patients report that a wax is actually much more uncomfortable and painful than a laser session, especially without the worry of ingrown hairs. In fact, as you undergo more Brazilian laser treatments, you will feel less pain every time, as your hair will become less dark; lighter and finer with every session.
What to Expect Afterwards
Your first treatment will be the most uncomfortable, more due to the new experience of lasers on sensitive areas rather than the pain itself. For the rest of the day post-treatment, you might feel the following side effects:
- Soreness: Your groin will typically have a certain soreness all around for a few hours if not the entire day. Those who regularly work out and exercise will feel less soreness.
- Swelling: For up to three hours after the procedure, you can anticipate a swelling of the entire treated area.
- Redness: A slight redness of the region will go hand in hand with the swelling.
What can you do to avoid as much pain as possible? To reduce the discomfort after the procedure, read and follow the tips below:
- Cool compress against the treated area
- Avoid sun exposure (before and after every procedure)
- Do not have your procedure during your period – schedule it a week ahead or after
- Avoid waxing or plucking
- If more relief is needed, take a pain reliever such as aspirin
How Many Sessions Do You Need, and When Will You See Results?
For best results, it is recommended to continue laser treatments for 6 months, although some patients continue their treatments for up to 18 months. You may start seeing 7-10 days after your first procedure, with hairs shedding off without regrowth.
Get Your Brazilian With the Pros at Ethos Spa
The best way to ensure you have an awesome experience out of your laser hair removal is by working with trusted professionals with years of experience, and at Ethos Spa, Skin and Laser Center, you receive the best laser procedures New Jersey offers.
We have worked with countless women for Brazilian laser treatments and treatments on legs, underarms and more, and we would be more than happy to help you reach your desired hair beauty goals.
Contact us to learn more about laser treatments, and start your hair removal journey today. After all, beauty shouldn’t be hard.
Read more: 8 Reasons Why Laser Hair Treatment May Not Be Working For You