As the Memorial Day holiday approaches, it's time to get ready for bikini, beach and pool season. When you're showing some skin, you want it to look great, feel great and keep it safe.
Here's some tips for having your best summer skin. .
- Protect your lips - Your lip skin is some of the thinnest skin on your body. and too much sun exposure dries them out, leaving them potentially cracked and brittle. Apply a lip balm with SPF protection liberally throughout the day to keep your lips moist, soft and supple.
- Improve uneven skin tone - Age spots, freckles, and even the effects of a skin condition called melasma that leaves dark splotches on the skin can be minimized or eliminated through a chemical peel or Fraxel treatment.
- Don't let your scalp get burned - Use a spray sunscreen along the line where your hair parts to protect this sensitive area from sunburn.
- A Cool Shower does more than cool you off - After excessive sweating, a hot shower may actualy dry your skin out further. By turning the temps down a little, a cool shower will help your skin stay moisturized, and keeps the skin unoccluded, which reduces the potential for acne.
- Use a makeup with SPF protection - A mineral makeup with SPF 50 can keep you looking great on the beach or by the pool, and can be convenient for occasional touch-ups, while offering additional protection from UVA and UVB rays.
- Exfoliate pre-shower - One of the most effective means of eliminating dry skin is to use a body scrub right before you get into the shower, paying special attention to knees and elbows. After your shower, apply a rich body cream or oil immediately to lock in those moisture benefits.
- Don't scratch! - Summer's the time for bug bites, and scratching those bug bites leaves the area inflamed and look unsightly for weeks. Consider using a topical anti-itch cream with hydro-cortisone to alleviate the itch without causing the irritation.